Lilypie Maternity tickers

Friday, September 29, 2006

4 Sleeps Until I Leave......

As they say in South Africa, I have 4 sleeps until I leave for the states! Yeah!!! Its been a crazy week though trying to finish everything up here and get ready to leave. I do find it humerous that the day I arrive in the states Starbucks is raising their prices by 5 cents. Those of you who know how much I have complained about missing Starbucks will understand the humor in that.

I wanted to give you a quick update on Rose. I met with her on Tuesday night and was sooo encouraged. I asked her if she could tell me how she became a Christian. I was expecting to hear some story from her childhood and how she goes to church etc. Instead, she started to share with me about how hard things were for her when her mother died and how angry at God and how sad she was. She said everyone kept telling her to pray and that God was always there for her. She didn't like it when people told her that bit gradually over a few months it seems that God softened her heart and in the process saved her. She can share the gospel in an understandable way and can explain why Christ had to die. She even used an illustration from the Fundamentals of the Faith book to demonstrate what Christ had accomplished on the cross. (A Bible Study we all thought she hadn't paid attention in.) Without me asking, she also began to share with me the difference Christ has made in her life. She loves to pray and read the Bible. She isn't harsh and angry all the time. I was sitting there amazed at what I saw. She is truly a different person with a different countenance. She is genuinely happy and joyful. Time will tell about the genuniness of her conversion but it seems like God has truly done an awesome work in her life. What an answer to prayer!

It was also very challenging to me to think about how small my faith is and how big our God is. I remember praying Lord save her and since that seems impossible- make her quit or give us a reason to fire her. We serve a truly amazing God who is able to do immeasurably more then we can ask or think. This has been such a great reminder to me of that. It was also a great reminder not to give up praying for the people we view as impossible for God to save. Its not about me and what I can accomplish. Its about God's work in people's hearts and lives. He's the one who changes people.

3 comments:

a suburban housewife said...

Hi, Beth! I stumbled over here from I can't really remember, but it's good to "see" you again. I am excited to read this blog and catch up on your life since we've seen one another.

Pecadillo said...

Hey Miss Mack, I don't know if you have a myspace or not but I created a group blog on myspace for former Grace School students. Feel free to check it out.

Amanda said...

Hey Miss Mack!...ahem...I mean Beth. I'm trying! Anyway, I just wanted to say hi. I looked on here and I read your last post...and I got all excited because it said you were coming to L.A. but then I found out that you wrote that in September. Sad. I thought maybe we could actually get together or something. I really loved you class at Master's. I hope you are doing well!